More Info

Not sure about your must haves? Learn all about the requirements to obtain your LTC.

View Requirements»


For those seeking to obtain skills in marksmanship as well as personal defense, Total Precision Shooting offers Personal training to augment the basic skills of a pistol shooter. At an hourly training rate with a certified instructor.

Call for more information

More News»


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Once I submit my application, when should I expect to receive my license?

A: The department will make every effort to issue your license within 60 days or inform you that you did not meet the eligibility criteria. Once your application is complete, processing may take up to 180 days if your background check reveals potentially disqualifying events or information.

Q: How long is a license valid?

A: An initial LTC expires on the license holder’s first birthday following the four-year anniversary of the issuance of the license. In other words, an initial license is valid for four (4) years, and in many cases, for some additional months. All renewed licenses are valid for five (5) years.

Q: If I am a legal resident alien, can I get a license?

A: It depends. A resident alien who has been admitted to the U.S. under an immigrant visa category will generally be eligible for the License to Carry a Handgun. However, under federal law, an alien who has been admitted to the U.S. under a non-immigrant visa usually is not qualified to purchase a handgun and thus is not eligible for a license. If you legally reside in Texas and were not admitted to the U.S. under a non-immigrant visa, you may be eligible.

Q: Can others find out if I am licensed to carry a handgun?

A: Information about persons who are licensed to carry a handgun is confidential and may not be disclosed to an individual. However, upon proper request by a criminal justice agency, DPS must disclose to the agency whether or not a named individual is licensed to carry a handgun. Disclosable information includes the license holder’s name, date of birth, gender, and zip code. DPS must notify the license holder about the request and provide him/her the name of the agency making the request.

Q: If I move or change my name (or status, if you are a judge or a prosecuting attorney), how do I change the address or name on my license?

A: You must contact the DPS Concealed Handgun Section to receive a change of address form, or you may send a letter including your full name, LTC number, old address and new address (or status) and a cashier’s check or money order for $25. You may call 1-800-224-5744, write Texas Dept. of Public Safety Concealed Handgun Licensing Bureau, P.O. Box 4087, Austin, Texas, 78773 or online at http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlsindex.htm.

Q: What are the requirements for obtaining a license?

A: The license to carry handgun law sets out the eligibility criteria that must be met. Your application packet will list them in detail. For example, you must be qualified to purchase a handgun under the state and federal laws. A number of factors may make you ineligible to obtain a license, such as: felony convictions and most misdemeanor convictions that are less than five years old, (including charges that resulted in probation or deferred adjudication), pending criminal charges, chemical or alcohol dependency, certain psychiatric diagnoses, protective or restraining orders, or defaults on taxes, governmental fees, student loans or child support. See Texas Gov’t. Code § 411.172. The application packet also will include information about materials you need to return with your application packet. These include two recent color passport photos, two sets of fingerprints taken by a law enforcement agency employee or a private entity designated by a law enforcement agency as an entity qualified to take fingerprints of an applicant for a license, a copy of your Texas driver license or identification card, and a notification of completion form (TR 100) from a DPS- authorized training course. After receiving completed application packets, DPS will conduct background checks of juvenile records for the previous 10 years, and of all adult records.

Q: If I was convicted of a misdemeanor offense two years ago, can I still get a License to Carry a handgun?

A: No. Let’s take DWI as an example. DWI (first offense) is a Class B misdemeanor, and a person is not eligible for a license for five years after a conviction for a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or for the offense of disorderly conduct. A “conviction” includes cases that were dismissed after you completed probation or deferred adjudication. If you have been convicted of two or more alcohol or drug- related offenses within the last 10 years, you may not be eligible.

Q: If a judge has found me to be delinquent on my payment of child support, but I have since worked out an arrangement with the Attorney General’s office to pay off the debt, can I get a license?

A: Yes. If you have a payment plan with a government agency for back taxes or child support and the agency sends DPS a clearance letter, you may apply. Include a copy of the agreement and letter with your application materials. The License to Carry handgun law was designed to encourage those who made no effort whatsoever to pay what they owe.

Q: How do I find the Texas License to Carry A Handgun Laws?

A: Click the link to view the Texas License to Carry A Handgun Laws

Texas License to Carry a Handgun Laws»

*Information taken from Texas Department of Public Safety Website


+1 832.567.3142

5300 North Braeswood
Building 4 Suite 394
Houston Tx 77096